About the role:
Edge Consultants is looking to hire junior and/or intermediate building performance consultants to support the firm’s growing energy modeling division. A solid foundation in mechanical engineering, specifically HVAC, is desired; informing HVAC design is a fundamental portion of the role.
The individual will support a client-facing team and coordinate tasks to achieve project-specific energy and carbon goals. The ideal applicant will have the flexibility and capacity to work on a wide variety of projects and demonstrate the capability of collaborating with multi-disciplinary project teams. Applicants should be passionate about engineering and sustainability, and self-directed, with an ability to produce high-quality work.
This is a position based in Vancouver, British Columbia.
How to apply:
Please apply for the building performance consultant position by sending an email to email@example.com.
Your email should include a resume and a brief cover letter. Please include any pertinent information relating to your availability in your email, such as timeline and location.
This is what a typical week will include:
- Define project specific energy and sustainability requirements
- Read and extract information from architectural, mechanical, and electrical drawings
- Perform HVAC related calculations
- Construct accurate building performance energy models using IES
- Analyze and validate energy model results using engineering calculations
- Inform the design of HVAC systems
- Coordinate with project design teams
- Follow quality control procedures
- Interpret codes and standards
- Prepare energy compliance reports
- Support colleagues and complete tasks as directed
We would love to hear from you if you have:
- Relevant degree or diploma; mechanical engineering, HVAC design or similar
- Familiarity with building systems such as HVAC, building envelope, and lighting design
- Knowledge and/or experience with energy modeling software (IES preferred)
- Ability to read and interpret building construction drawings, details, and specifications
- Knowledge of codes/standards Step Code, VBBL, ASHRAE 90.1, NECB, etc.
- Expert level Microsoft Excel skills
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
- Attention to detail
- Initiative and positive attitude
Those applying for an intermediate position should have relevant energy modeling experience of 1 to 3 years.
Edge Consultants is an engineering firm based in Vancouver, British Columbia, providing energy and sustainable design services for clients across Canada and the USA. We take great pride in our ability to deliver results, provide value to our clients and build strong relationships within the built industry.
We have delivered energy, carbon, and sustainability solutions to many of British Columbia’s iconic projects across the commercial, institutional, residential, hospitality, educational, and industrial sectors.
United by a passion for environmental sustainability, we endeavor to go beyond and develop innovative yet simple solutions. Irrespective of the scale of the project, we have developed a reputation to positively impact building design from the get-go and guide project teams to build a more sustainable built asset. We look at the bigger picture and are united in our goal to deliver high-quality, sustainable, and creative solutions to our clients.
Our team culture is to do what you love and have a fantastic time doing it. We’re a team of engaging, motivated, intelligent, and energized trouble-shooters who work hard, play hard, and are committed to impacting real change in the built industry. We’ve got a cast of characters that is hard not to like: modelers who like fast cars, and play golf, and engineers who love biking and hiking.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants. We will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, or veteran status.
We seek other like-minded individuals who share our passion for impacting positive environmental change.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Expected annual base salary of $50,000-$75,000
- Additional annual bonuses in the region of 10% of base salary
- Enrollment in health benefits program
- 9 day working fortnight
- 15 paid vacation days
- Plus, additional paid time off over holiday period (approx. 5 days)
- Partial remote working opportunities
Note: Relocation assistance is not available for this role.